We’re accustomed to having supermarkets with bottleshops attached. But in 1862, when Newham’s first general store opened, it was the other way around.
Until European settlement, Hanging Rock was hidden in the landscape by trees and undergrowth. It was part of the run that Edward Dryden leased from the government for £10 a year from 1839 until the land was surveyed in the 1850s.
Newham Flour Mill was built by Walter Brydon in 1864. This photo shows the mill from Brydon’s Rd, which is now Don’s Rd. Behind the fence and the huge woodpile on the right can be seen the back of Newham Post Office.