Trentham’s distinctive 1970s High Street clock holds special significance for the town: it commemorates the life and career of Dr Gweneth Wisewould (1884-1972). From a well-to-do Brighton family, she had already enjoyed a full career in Melbourne before arriving in Trentham. She had worked at the Melbourne, Alfred and Queen’s Memorial hospitals; performed surgery at […]
Trentham’s police complex is thought to have had only a single cell until 1879, when a rod-and-slab portable double cell arrived from Kyneton.
The Trentham district has had 21 schools since the first was built in the 1850s. Only two are still operating.
With thanks to Trentham & District Historical Society. The little weatherboard cottage at 3 Camp St served as Trentham’s police station from 1866 to 1984. That it remains on the site is largely due to Sgt Jack Burke, who was in charge at Trentham from 1961 to 1988. During the 1980s, he resisted pressure to […]
Trentham’s original public swimming pool opened in the 1920s. It had a rough concrete base from which every swimmer expected to lose “a yard of skin”.
The Commercial Hotel was the first brick building in Trentham. It stands on the left of High St, on the brow of the hill, as you enter the village.